26 Apr. 2013: The Diary is launched at Norwich Cathedral

Norwich Cathedral’s refectory was the setting for the launch of The Diary of Mary Hardy on the evening of Friday 26 April 2013.

Viewing the books at the launch 2013

Unveiled at Norwich Cathedral: all four hardback volumes of The Diary, plus the one-volume transcription The Remaining Diary containing entries not included in the set of four

More than one hundred guests attended. They included the former Lord Lieutenant of Norfolk, Sir Timothy Colman, one of the 15 descendants of the diarist present that night. Also at the launch were Robert Carter, a serving Deputy Lieutenant, and his wife Charlotte, owners of the Letheringsett estate to which the Hardys had moved in 1781.

Unveiling the books

The four hardbacks comprising The Diary of Mary Hardy  were unveiled, together with the paperback The Remaining Diary of Mary Hardy. The full manuscript diaries of Mary Hardy and the family’s apprentice Henry Raven were now on sale in the county in which they had originally been written and where they were printed: the craftsmanship of the printers MPG Biddles of King’s Lynn was greatly admired.

Caroline Holland spoke on behalf of the diarist’s family, still custodians of the manuscripts after nearly 250 years.

Arriving at the launch of the Diary in Norwich

The light and spacious refectory of Norwich Cathedral proved an ideal setting for the launch of the Diary of Mary Hardy in April 2013

Michael Sparkes, volunteer skipper of the wherry Albion, recalled the article he had written for the Norfolk Wherry Trust journal in 1988 which marked the start of the long project to publish the diaries in full. Margaret Bird made the concluding speech as editor of the books.

It was an extremely happy and convivial gathering in beautiful surroundings.


Read more articles

Margaret Bird

Margaret Bird in 2016

The editor and author of the Mary Hardy volumes

You can read about the historian Margaret Bird on the link above

See inside…