6 June 2013, Norwich: a talk on malting and brewing
Margaret Bird is giving an illustrated presentation to the Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society (NIAS) entitled “Malting and brewing in Norfolk in the late 18th century.”
It is on Thursday 6 June at 7.30 pm in the heart of Norwich: the Charing Cross Centre, St John Maddermarket, Norwich NR2 1DN.
This is a society which has been closely involved with the Mary Hardy project since its inception. The diarists Mary Hardy and Henry Raven give a great deal of useful material for the industrial historian as well as the industrial archaeologist.
Visitors are most welcome, and can stay on for coffee and biscuits and a chance to talk. Admission is free. Details are on the NIAS website.
A field trip by the Norfolk & Norwich Archaeological Society
On 6 July 1996, to mark its 150th anniversary, the Norfolk & Norwich Archaeological Society joined forces with NIAS on a joint expedition.
The place they chose for the historic commemoration was the small village of Letheringsett, the former home of Mary Hardy and the Hardy family’s brewery. David Durst and Margaret Bird put together a full programme, with tours of 29 places of interest to both societies.
Two group photographs captured the busy but enjoyable day. This one shows the members gathered in the brewery yard against the 18th-century tun room, or vat house, in which Letheringsett nog and porter used to mature. It was re-clad in flint by Mary Hardy’s son in the early 19th century, but it retains its old proportions.
The tun room survived the fire of 1936, the large opening being made in the mid-20th century when it became a store for farm machinery.
This fine building remains a landmark on the main Cromer–King’s Lynn road. The cascade at the banner flows under the road bridge built by William Hardy junior in 1818. It marks the drop for the waterwheel which used to be in the yard until 1936. NIAS members have since the 1980s thoroughly investigated and recorded the brewery’s watercourses and use of water power.